Golden Retriever Club of Greater Toronto
Independent Specialty Show 18 July 2010
Overflow Judge: Carol Gilbert
It was with great pleasure I took on the overflow classes from Lei Taft's huge entry for this show, and I was delighted to be offered my all time favourite classes, veteran and puppy dogs, amongst them. I would like to thank all the exhibitors who didn't withdraw and took the decisions of a replacement judge in such a sporting fashion, and also Lei for allowing me to steal them! I was also delighted to be able to send Ms Taft a dog from Veteran that she thought worthy of making Best of Breed and a Junior Puppy that she made not only Best Puppy in Breed but also Reserve Winners Dog. I think this speaks volumes about the quality at both ends of the age range which is present in Canadian Goldens today.
(Click on image to enlarge. Critique Below)
Junior Puppy Dog
1. 1.DOVECOTTAGE DAYTRIPPER (owner: S. Pascoe) Well balanced, short coupled puppy in lovely coat and just oozing personality. Sailed round the ring with a dead level topline and perfect tail carriage. This one is here for the long haul, not on a daytrip! A real star in the making, delighted to see him take Best Puppy in Breed and also Reserve Winners Dog under the main judge.
2. COVEYHILLíS WHAT THE DEUCE (owner: J. Cameron)
3. ELDERSFIELD JIGSAW (owner: E. Ross)
4. NORSEHAVEN URSA MAJOR (owner: L. Bonney-Hayes)
Senior Puppy Dog
1. 1. LAZYDAZE ROCK OF LOVE (owner: K. Doyle-Winslow & D. Winslow). Strongly made, well balanced boy who put all his feet in the right place without prompting. Lovely outline standing because of his correct unexaggerated angulation and level topline and he carries himself well on the move. Another puppy that will be heard much more of in the future.
2. JOYSO'S KICK IT UP A NOTCH (owner J. McLean)
3. HALLMARKíS 2B OR NOT 2B (owner C. Webster)
4. KYON'S A REASON TO BELIEVE (owner: M-A. Taylor)
12-18 Month Dog
1. QUAPAW PLACE URBET X UR FINGERS AT FALCONLAKE (owner: V. Muller and K. Wood) This well boned boy was a joy to watch on the move where he really used his strong quarters. He has a pleasing head, well sprung ribs and good forehand angulation which won him the class over strong opposition.
2. KYON'S SHINE A LIGHT (owner K. Donelle)
3. ASHMARS LOGAN'S GOT SWAGGER (owner: M. Martins)
4. BEAU GESTE RIVER SPEY CURRENCY (owner: J.K. Bramhall)
Canadian Bred Dogs
1. LAZYRIVER SHIíS GRAND SLAM (owner: S. Norrie) Lovely head on this boy which I just preferred to 2 who ran him close. Good forehand angulation, short deep body, good tail carriage and moving accurately and with drive.
2. AMBERWOODíS COME FLY WITH MEE (owner: C. Ingwersen)
3. GOWANíS SPEED TRAP TD, WC (owner: J. Barrett)
4.YOUNG COUNTRY BORDEN (owner: M. Touminen & S.J. Lalonde)
Veteran Dog (7 to 10 Years)
What a great class! I loved them all, 4 really top draw gentlemen who I would be very proud to own and all of whom were worthy of a blue ribbon.
1. 1.GRENADIER NORTHERN SPY (owner: L. McCabe) When I took his lovely head in my hands my heart turned over and when I watched him move it sang! This happy, waggy tailed boy was everything I was looking for and I'm delighted to say the main judge agreed and made him not only Best Veteran but also Best of Breed at the end of the day. Every dog has his day and this was most definitely his, many congratulations and thank-you for giving me the pleasure of handling him.
2. CH STORMYNIGHTS LEAP OF FAITH (owner: K. MacDonald)
3. CH CHEEK TO CHEEK STEVE MACQUEEN (owner: C. Brechbill)
4. LITTLERIVER SPENCER FOR HIRE (owner: L. J. Guy)
Veteran Dog (10 years and over)
Another class of quality gentlemen and it was not easy to choose between them as they all retain many of their virtues but in the end there has to be a winner and so ..
1. 1.CH GOWRIELA'S FLOYDIAN SLIP (owner: B. & L. Russell) won on his overall balance. He carries and stacks himself well, retaining his strong topline; is short coupled, deep through the heart and with the correct balance between length of leg and length of body.
2. CH MEADOWPOND GRAND BEAUJOLAIS CDX, WC, AGX, AGXJ, VCI (owner: R. & N. Chapman)
3. TROWSNEST BENTLEYíS EZ RYDE (owner: L. Guy)