GRCC National Specialty Show 2010
17 July 2010
Stratford, Ontario, Canada
Judge for Bitches: Carol Gilbert
(Click on image to enlarge. Critique below pictures)
GRCC National Specialty Show 2010
Judge for Bitches: Carol Gilbert
It was an honour and a pleasure to judge, in glorious, if hot sunshine, at this happy and well run show. I would like to express my thanks to my ring stewards for their sterling work, the exhibitors and handlers for their sporting attitude and last but not least the committee for their invitation and hospitality all of which made it the great show it was.
Junior Puppy Bitch
1. ABENROSE SHAY IN MEMORY (owner: R. Abrahams) At first glance this pretty baby girl appeared fat but on handling it proved to be a profuse, dense but correct puppy coat with a very well constructed body underneath carrying just the right amount of weight. She has true and accurate movement, without any sign of a puppy roll, holds her topline and carries her tail level as she should. A very promising baby with a pretty head.
2. BRAEFIELD'S HOPE EVERLASTING (owner: C &G Gross) A classy, elegant young lady with all the essentials in the right place and presenting a good outline. She pressed hard but is not yet as steady on the move as 1. Another with a bright future.
3. SETHERWOOD NATALIE (owner: J. MacLeod) Sweet baby of just 6 months so lacking a little in maturity and presence as one would expect. A true steady mover with a well sprung ribcage and good overall construction.
4. SYNERGOLD BLUE MOON AT STONELEDGE (owner: L.J. Guy) Pretty blonde baby, also carrying a heavy coat. She was giving her handler a very hard time, but worth the effort as when she gets it right she will be lovely! Well made throughout and with a pleasing head.
Senior Puppy Bitch (9-12months)
1. 1. LYNWOODíS FAIR MAID OF PERTH (owner: S. Roberts) A top class pale cream puppy who carries herself very well, just flows on the move and presents an excellent outline standing. She has a very pretty head and all her angles in the right place. Well sprung ribs and short couplings. I really liked her and she was in real contention in the Winners Challenge today, only maturity holding her back. Iím sure in time she will trouble the best. Best Puppy in Breed
2. 2. GOLDENOTEíS GUILTY OF INNOCENCE (owner: B. Brown) Lovely head, which really reflects her name, on this nicely constructed young lady. She moved well and on the move and free standing she carried her topline level, but lost this a little when stacked which held her back.
3. 3. GOLDPAWíS SLOTZ OF FUN (owner: H & P Acheson & T. Sabourin) She has a short coupled deep well balanced body and moves well. She also has a strong topline and was close up but just lacks the appealing head of 2.
4. 4. SOUTHERN CROSS HIGHLAND FLING (owner: T Maura) Another elegant pale cream with lovely angles but just a little longer cast than those above her. Moves very well.
12-18 Month Bitch
1. THISTLEDOWN PHOEBE SNOW OF KERNOW (owner: P. Nieuwenhuys Badger) Lovely pale cream bitch with a delightful head, short deep body and lovely angulation both fore and aft. Moved very well carrying her topline and tail level. I loved her and my notes at this point indicate that I thought she could have been my overall winner but she had a change of handler in the Challenge with whom she didnít want to co-operate and so did not give of her best.
2. 2. MELIAGOLD ROBIN COEUR DE LION (owner: L. McGregor & J. McDonald) True gold bitch with a super topline and excellent movement, and with good angles fore and aft . Correct head but not as appealing as 1 who she was unlucky to meet in top form.
3. 3. CONQUERERíS XSIVELY CHEAP (owner: R.G. Paterson & T. Mueller) Mature bitch with excellent spring of rib and short couplings who moved and carried herself well. Not the forehand angulation of those above and the excessive feathering on her tail rather spoiled her overall balance.
4. 4. BRAEFIELDíS FORGET ME NOT (owner: C. & G. Goss ) Good head, excellent firm topline and an accurate mover, not as a mature as and a little longer cast than 3.
Canadian Bred Bitch
1. 1. PHOEBE OF STONEMEAD (owner: P.Diamond) My notes say ìLoved her! And she didnít disappoint on the moveî. Her lovely head, balanced outline, excellent topline and flowing movement helped her to win this class; but another who didnít respond as well to her handler in the Challenge.
2. 2. PRETTYRIVER NOEL OíAMBERCROFT (owner: G Kerr & C.A. Lee) A beautifully made lady with a short loin, good ribcage and overall balance. Sound mover but just not the head of 1.
3. 3. BALLANGEIGHíS CRAZY FOR YOU (owner: M. & T. Rebello) A very dark gold ìold fashionedî bitch who presented a lovely balanced outline. She has strong driving movement and carries herself well.
4. 4. KYONíS VICTORIA SECRET (owner: K. Klouman & W. Barr) Pretty very pale cream bitch with a pleasing head and excellent front angulation, not as accurate on the move as 3.
Bred By Exhibitor Bitch
1. THISTLEDOWN PHIRST NITE PHANTASY (owner: D. McKibben Cutler) This lovely bitch caught my eye the moment she came in the ring and didn’t disappoint on closer examination. Excellent totally sound movement as you would expect from such well balanced, excellent but unexaggerated construction. She held her topline on the move and carried her tail straight off the end of her back right to the end of the day and despite the intense heat showed no signs of flagging. Just “my cup of tea” and I was delighted to make her Winners Bitch over some pretty tough competition.
2. GOLDRIVER INDIAN MANJUBALA (owner: N. Aubertin & B. Lalonge) Many of the same remarks apply to this lady who is beautifully constructed was a close contender un a little right at the end of the class.
3. AUREO I FLY SOLO AM, TDX(owner: N.M. HousinKvelt) A very appealing bitch with many of the qualities I was looking for and movingquite the forehand angulation of 1&2.
VERDOROíS CARPE DIEM (owner A.M. Greenbank) Lovely outline and sound steady movement, not quite the head appeal of those above.
1. TANGLEWOOD INCOGNITO (owner: J. Cava) Very pretty blond lady carrying presenting a mature, balanced outline. Strong driving movement from well angled quarters, good forehand and a most pleasing head. Carried herself well to win this class over some top draw competition. She pressed very hard, but got just a little over excited in the challenge at the end of a very hot day and so had to settle for Reserve Winners Bitch today but Iím sure to reach the top of the tree in future.
2. COVEYHILL ICESTORM LAZYRIVER ( owner: S. Norrie) Every bit as well made as 1 though of a very different type, this lady pressed very hard for the top spot and just gave it away on the final run round. Loved her overall balance anand Iím sure she too will reach the top.
"MEASONS XANADU OF CANTARELL (owner P. Gatrell) Pretty head and very elegant outline on this pale cream who was also very stylish on the move. Her coat was definitely ìon the blowî which wouldnít have mattered against lesser opposition, but today every hair s really splitting them in this class!
4. LAUREL'S MEADOWLARK AT LYNWOOD WCI (owner: S.Roberts) Well handled by her very young handler this pretty blond lady impressed on the move; I see she is the mother of my Best Puppy and she has definitely passed this on to her daughter. She also has a strong level topline and an appealing head, but like 3 her coat was not at its best today.
Winners Bitch: THISTLEDOWN PHIRST NITE PHANTASY
Reserve Winners Bitch: TANGLEWOOD INCOGNITO
Best Puppy in Breed: LYNWOOD'S FAIR MAID OF PERTH
Veteran Bitch (7-10 years)
What a superb class to start my day with! It gave me a taste of the hair splitting decisions I was going to have to make all day.I could have happily taken all of them home with me!
1. CH. FREELINíS JAVA JOLT CDX, WC, CGN, JH, AGNJS, AGIS, RN. (owner: S & P Kelly) Wow! what a lady; brains as well as beauty and still had the stamina, at 9 years old, to keep going right through the extremely hot day to take a JAM and Best Veteran in Show under my co-judge at the end of it. Beautifully balanced, unexaggerated, good forehand angulation and firm topline and moved well all day long.
2.CH CHRYS-HAEFEN SUMMER BREEZE CD, WCI (owner: E. Ross) Very appealing head on this lovely lady who reminded me of one of my own girls. I liked her ba of chest and her happy strong movement.
CH GOLDENOTE'S PRIMA BELLA CANTOR (owner: B Brown) Paler bitch who retains her lovely movement. Pleasing head and expr quite the angulation of those above her.
CH STORMYNIGHTS KEEP THE FAITH (owner: E.&D. Boyd) Truly lovely head and expression on this lovely old lady and has kept her firm topline. Accurate mover.
Veteran Bitch (Over 10)
This was another absolutely cracking class in could have done with more blue ribbons.
CH WINDROWS BRAKES FOR DRAKES (owner: S L Phillips). The gorgeous head on this 12 year old just won her the class, but this really was a close call! Excellent mover despite her age and had all the angulation I was looking for. She kept going till almost the end of the day not flagging, in the cut for BIS. A bitch to be proud of.
CH LAZYRIVER SWEET SASHA OD, SDHF, CGC, TDI (owner: S. Norrie) Another lovely 12 year old lady and very close to the winner. Many of the same r just preferred the head on the winner.
LAZYRIVER SUNRISE OVER SAVANNAH SDHF, CGC, TDI (owner: S. Norrie) Celebrating her 10th birthday on the day and coming in right behind her mother with not a lot between them. Mum being slightly more elegant and flowing on the move today. Well off for bone and in beautiful coat.
4. MAPLELANE'S NEVER LET ME GO (owner: S. l. Hall) at 14 plus this dear old lady is a credit to her owners. She is in lovely condition for her age and still has her topline, moves well and was wearing a very pretty coat.
GCH NAUTILUS ANIMATION MATRIX AGNJS, AGNS (owner: V. Ellery) Headed a very even group endowed with the same qualities as their sire.
2. SGESTE LUV ME TENDER (owner: J. Bramhall)
LAZYRIVER SHI'S GRAND SLAM (owner: S. Norrie)
4. CH GILTEDGE TRAVELLER WC, JH
1. CH LAZYRIVER SWEET SASHA OD, SDHF, CGC, TDI (owner: S. Norrie) Hea very even type who all moved very well.
2. SYNERGOLD BEAU G OF OZ (owner: J. Bramhall )
3. CH DIOS NEPTUNO NEVER ENDING STORY (owner: T. Maura)
CH GOWRIELEA CHICKACHICKABOOMBOOM AGN (owner B.&l. Russell)
Gun Dog Class
1. CH. AMBERWOOD WINTER WONDERLAND, JH, WCI, CD (owner S. Bloom) Level topline, balanced outline, very oved accurately with drive and purpose
2 GOWANS SPEED TRAP, TD WC (owner: J. Barrett) Lovely type and has a gorgeous head and expression, not quite the tthe move but otherwise moved very well
3. CH. HALLMARK'S HIGH PERFORMANCE, WC (owner: C. Webster) Active stylish movg topline, I just preferred the head on 2.
4. CH.GOWRIELEA'S MURPHY, WCI, JH, CDX, RA, TD (owner: S. Brodie) Very balanced outline and accurate on the move but just a little ìheavyî compared with those above.
Gun Bitch Class
1. CH. FREELIN'S JAVA JOLT CDX, WC, CGN, JH, AGNJS, AGIS, RN (owner: S & P Kelly) winner of the 7-10 veteran class this morning and still showing her on to win Best Gun Dog/Bitch in Breed.
2. 2. CH WINDROWS BRAKES FOR DRAKES (owner: S L Phillips). Winner of this morningís over 10 veteran class and not surprisingly just beginning to lose some of herove but still as well made and accurate.
3. 3. AUREO I FLY SOLO AM, TDX (owner: N.M. HousinKvelt) 3rd in Bred By class and the same remarks apply.
4. 4. CH AZUREíS AMBERWOOD CAB-SHIRAZ, JH, WCI, AGI, CDX (owner: N. Fielder) Very pretty head on this lady, sound mover and well sprung ribs just a litter longer cast than 3.
Field Dog Class
1. CH DONAMOR ONCE IN A BLUE MOON WCX (owner: A. Morison and W. D Morison) Loved his overall balance, lack of exaggeration, good construction and really strong sound movement. A worthy class winner and a dog to be proud of.
Field Bitch Class